Since a change a while back, enemies hang around stairs much longer.
The situation I’m in now, is that I entered the Depths a little early, got marked, and high-tailed it out of there. Now I’ve gone and completed the Vaults, done Slime:1, Crypt, and most of Tomb:1, and the crowd of enemies is still there.
I get this is a fun mechanic for Vaults:5, but for Vaults:5 one can at least take a shaft in. How am I supposed to deal with this? This doesn’t feel fun. I already burned 1 of the 2 ?blink that spawned this game because the enemies got a high roll when I stairdanced in the third time.
A character dump would help us give more specific advice, but in general the meta now is to burn consumables to take the branch entry when you first get there and build up a good bastion.
You have pretty decent AC to take a few whacks and you shouldn’t have to worry about confuse/paralyze with that willpower.
You’ve got 2 charges of tambourine and tremorstones each, I’d probably use those to pull everyone off me when I go down (after buffing up of course) and do some initial damage. Then either finish off with more evokables or start stampeding.
How do you like the plate armour with the archery ego on it?
I got through with !haste + !invis + ?tele + ?fear
The plate armour of archery is ok. I think I underestimated how much EV it would cost me. I’m still investing in Dex over Str because of weapon damage, but the EV just doesn’t really pop off. There’s also that I’m getting 40% less AC from the armour (minus enchantments) so it’s giving me ‘only’ 21 AC. And it’s costing me a bunch of stealth, and I’m locked out of spellcasting for the purpose of this game.
On the other hand, 21 from the body armour slot is nice, and it is giving me +18% dps right now, I still got my stealth positive which is the important part for things like V:5 and the Abyss, and putting xp into the core skills is probably wiser than putting it into magic anyway.
when your entrances get badly crowded usually you have to buff up to power through the monsters there, or read teleportation before going down to achieve something similar to taking a hatch if it’s looking very bad. it’s unpleasant and always unnerving, but in my experience it’s usually not lethal. it can also often be reasonably avoided, but not always :x
I was a bit scared of the Tesseract but it was fine. Haste + rampage got me in whilst keeping the baddies down enough, the Tesseract went down quite quickly to the crossbow (and volley kept the baddies down even still) and then I was able to rampage onto a teleport trap. The ancestor even stayed alive through most of it