When asking questions that relate (even tangentially) to an ongoing crawl character, it is recommended that you share a morgue / character dump (“chardump”) file.
For ongoing games: Press
# in game.
- Offline games: this will put a link into the console that will tell you where to find the morgue. The location is OS-specific.
- Online webtiles games: this will put a link in the chat box that you can click on; the details are server-specific.
- Online console games: you probably already know how to find this. But if not, the easiest way is probably to use a web browser to spectate yourself, and hit
#in the console window – this will print the link in the spectator’s chat.
Be aware that these files are not a stable or permanent link and change each time
# is pressed or the game is exited. See below for tips on ensuring that you share the correct version.
For completed offline games:
- look in the same folder that the above command produces; the morgue will be named with the time and date that it ended.
For completed online games:
- You can find recent links to morgues on your player page on Crawl Scoring (stable and alpha versions).
- You can get links to arbitrary games using any of the standard knowledge bots:
Sequell(on libera.chat IRC, in #crawl among others),
beem(on webtiles chat), and
Cerebot(on the Roguelikes discord). The latter two are actually just interfaces to Sequell, for these purposes. The command is usually something like
!lg . SpAs -log, which would search for the query-er’s last game as a SpAs, and print the log link. See full docs on github
- Your server may have some custom way of getting these links.
Unless you are providing a stable link to a completed online game, you may want to put a copy of it as a text file on the internet. There are many services that do this easily and for free (a la imgur but for text), but here are some standard ones:
Rather than posting your entire morgue file on the tavern, please use one of the above services; currently morgues will exceed the post size limit anyways.
In some cases it may make sense to post a small part of a morgue file directly in a tavern post (please don’t do this in a comment). If you are sharing a partial morgue file, please put it within a preformatted text block, and if it is long enough, with a “details” block (which can be accessed in the gear menu while editing).