Not exactly YASD of FeSu^Gozag

I tried FeSu^Gozag, average luck, but then got a book of death in a shop at about D:9(includes Haunt&Infestation!)
Later also learned Enfeeble&cause fear, hex 15
Enter Lair, saw a bunch of monsters, cast cause fear, escape back up,
Cleared D11 and D12, and went into Lair.
Huge welcome party waiting, nearly instadeath

I was pretty sure I’m going to lose a precious life. the chance of dodging all attacks(with only 26 EV) is slim. The only remotely possible way to survive is to cause fear and somehow manage to scare all of them away.

And I lived!

Scared away everything(except for a wolf), which is pretty easy to deal with(bring it upstairs, call a crocodile)
Cause fear is so awesome!

2 Thanks

Also, can anybody give advice on how to beat the Lair under such and absurd setup?

One technique for this is to read a scroll of teleport before heading down the stairs. Maybe quaff a potion of haste as well. Then head down and get instantly teleported. Now hope you land in a spot that is reasonably save :slight_smile:

1 Thank

Going back upstairs with all that waiting for you is scary! Going down into lair again may result in instant death to the 8/13 enemies surrounding you hitting you while you go downstairs.

Haste, tele, go downstairs is probably the move like quarague suggested but you might consider getting xp elsewhere for a bit more hp/ev first.

I got really tough luck. I’ve finished D:14(except for a storm dragon), also Orcs. Got malign gateway, started practicing, decended Lair again with 3 tele and 5 haste, 2 resistance, thought should be enough.
HP pool is still almost cleared before tele, and after tele, 2 rime drakes got a life from me, respawned beside Gastronok.
Tried enfeeble but instead slowed myself.
Wasted 2 lives, got Haunt castable, finished part of swamp, also got malign gateway castable.
Finished swamp, died in snake. I honestly hate the Nagas’ rPois- attack.

2 Thanks

if you knew that all the monsters you saw and scared when you just went down would simply return to the stairs once you leave the level (you know now :D), you probably should have not gone up and tried to deal with the problem on the spot trying your best not to surrender the entrance stairs, because the next time you go down it’s going to be very dangerous

honestly the mechanics around monsters camping stairs are kind of opaque, you don’t know how it works you just know or guess if it’s going to happen or not. it seems like feared monsters remember where they ran from and return in this scenario, good to know?

:saluting_face: sounds like you gave it all you had!

How to beat Lair

This is where people would praise Gozag. You should be able to Bribe Lair:1 after clearing the Lair with some luck.

But didn’t this one quit the game in Lair:1 ???

I apologize but what do you seek to achieve? You seem to quit a lot (something I only do offline) Then you come back again with the exact same character. I think the command to save is Ctrl+S not Ctrl+Q[uit]

If you have no intention to seek the Orb and just want to wander the dungeon for whatever reason, I suggest you ask the god’s guidance in seeded play. That way you wouldn’t ruin your win rate. I think.

@Oblivion Are you mixing up ND-Zyth with someone else? To me it shows that this is their first time posting here. Their question was not about what to do in Lair in general but rather how to handle a whole bunch of monsters doing stair camping at the entrance to the Lair after you run away the first time around. This is a tricky situation that one can run into at any entrance to a dungeon branch or on vault 5.

From their later post in this thread it seems they solved the issue around the entry to the Lair but unfortunately the char died at some later point for some totally unrelated reason.