YASD: Boris' Big Blaster

I had a solid Pode^Ash rolling along, 54 total D, 19.2 Fighting, and a well rounded arsenal of kill dude options - it should have been an easy ascension for me. I just got done using sentinel’s marks to clear out most of Vault:3 when I was auto exploring and came across Boris.

I popped a mana viper thinking this would be a cinch, when this bastard throws an Orb of Destruction at me from across the room. I tried to position myself so the viper took the hit, but it bypassed my minion. One more turn to make a move and I chose the wrong one - I tried to dodge it by stepping out of the way. It didn’t even matter that I had a small chunk of HP missing, it would have one shot me anyway. I should have burned ?butterflies; lesson learned.

2 Thanks

wow. That is a rough one.

1 Thank

Super harsh. We can say we all might have blinked out the way but I would not have expected that.

1 Thank

Were you fragile or something? Wiki claims Boris’s OOD is 9d18, which should max out at 162 against a 0 AC roll. There’s only about a 1% chance of seeing a blast exceeding 130.

No fragile that I can recall.

Crunching the numbers in trunk:

OOD has a monster spell power factor of 8: mon-cast.cc#L1597-L1602
Spell power formula is: (mon-cast.cc#L1662)
const int power = hd * _mons_power_hd_factor(spell);

With Boris HD of 22: boris.yml

We’re looking at 22 * 8 = 176 spell power

The damage formula in trunk is a little different than what it shows on the wiki:

int flat = 60;
    return dice_def(9, random ? div_rand_round(flat + pow, 12)
                              : (flat + pow) / 12 );

The random there is a boolean that toggles whether to use the straight formula or run it through the div_rand_round() function which is basically the same but might add a 1.

So we’re looking at 9d ~19.666 for max rolls of 171-180!

Ouch!

1 Thank